Sunday, December 22, 2013

More than just pretty lights...


 Christmas communion service.
This was a very special day! It was Hudson's first time to take the Lord's supper.  What a special time of the year for that first!  We followed it with a candle lights and singing. 

A few years ago I sat in a Christmas Eve service where "light" was explored in the scriptures.  The pastor started with the story of creation and pointed out how light was the first thing that God created.  God knew that we would need light.  Think about it...the power goes out...and it is dark...and we suddenly can't do much.  We become fearful in the dark.  Our kids happy to play in their rooms during daylight hours cry in those same rooms because they are scared at night...simply because there is no light.  Without light, we feel insecure, we get lost, we cannot stay on the path. 

God not only provided illumination for us to meet a physical need but he went on to send the "Light of the World" to rescue us from our personal darkness.  John 8: 12 "Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world, he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."

Just as we in our human flesh are drawn to light, THE Light draws us to himself.  He is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path.  Once we accept him, we are instructed in Matthew 5:16 to "Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven. " In Matthew 5:14 He said "you are the light of the world."

So, it comes full circle.  We need THE light.  We receive THE light.  We pass THE light on. And isn't that just what you see happen at Candlelight services?   I used to think we lit the candles to just be pretty and festive.  I'm probably just a late bloomer on this subject! I now see so much meaning.

As I looked at my candlelight today, I was again overwhelmed with thankfulness for the gift of Light in my life.  I could not earn it and I do not deserve it. Oh, praise the one who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead! Love has come down and rescued me! And I am free.  May I live my days with His Light shining so bright in my life that other will see it and be drawn to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment